10 July 2008

Colbert, Stephen. I Am America (And So Can You!) (Abridged). Audiobook: 2008.

Stephen Colbert (that is, "Stephen Colbert") is Roman Catholic! This surprised me, does it surprise you? All I know about the right is that they hate rational discussion and think Catholics aren't Christian—at least this is what I learned from Chick tracts. My favorite thing I remember from the book was a amendment he gives to the term Judeo-Christian: "Think of it like Sears-Roebuck. Judeo is Roebuck."

Though I was told the book has charts and graphs and funny visual jokes, I'd recommend it in the audiobook version. It's just long enough in the abridgement, and while I like Colbert and his show the whole joke of it doesn't have much lasting power. Which is to say it's sort of a theme-and-variations approach that I don't think I'd want to read the entirety of. Plus on the audiobook you get Colbert's great delivery on lines such as the above, and folks like Amy Sedaris and Paul Dinello reading certain characters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home