13 September 2008

Wallace, David Foster. Everything He'd ever Written Except Like Half of That Signifying Rappers Book He Co-Wrote. Boston: Back Bay? 1988?-2008.

Just a mournful post to mention one of the most tragic deaths of my entire life, which sounds callous and awful seeing as how I never met him personally. Without a doubt, David Foster Wallace was my favorite writer living in America today. I will spend hours upon hours arguing with any of you how he was easily the most important creator of fictional texts in our lives. As J. Robert Lennon said, even when he was bad he was amazing. No writer working today understood exactly how and why contemporary American life became some sad and alienating.

That we'll never have another book of his to read means we'll never become the better people we can imagine ourselves to be. Okay so I'm drunk after a Huskers game: can I be allowed some deifying hyperbole?

You haven't read his novels? You and your life sucks for it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, it is a huge loss. I am in disbelief. I totally agree with you RE his stature and his contribution, and was sad that his death will create a new lens through which to view his work.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Dusty said...

Yer right, H. I think I shouldn't go reread the stuff in light of this suicide, but can I not? I'll try, at least.

And H! It's been like months! And Boston: awesome?

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home